Should we migrate all of our data?
You should migrate all the constituent data your organization will use, NOT all the data that you have.
A good rule of thumb: If you have constituent codes and fields filled with information that you (or other staff) are uncertain what it represents do not migrate it to your new system. An alternative is to archive this data in Excel files so that later if you realize you do need that data you can always import it later.
Think of your new system as your organization’s fundraising future, not your organization’s reporting past.
How many years of donor data should we migrate?
If possible, ALL of a donor’s giving should be migrated to your new system…Even if gifts from your previous system do not follow LGL’s Campaigns, Funds, and Appeals structure.
In every data migration project NPSS facilitates, NPSS reviews your organization’ giving data and recommends the best way to code gifts moving forward. Additionally, we can reformat the last two years gifts or all of your gifts to match the recommended Campaigns, Funds and Appeal structure.
It is always better to know how long the constituent has been giving to your organization. Knowing a constituent’s complete giving history allows you to engage and cultivate them better.
When should our data be cleaned, before or after the data migration?
Most often, your data should be cleaned before data migration. The best time to remove/merge duplicate constituents, standardize data and purge bad data is after the data has been exported from your previous system in MS Excel format.
In every data migration project NPSS facilitates, NPSS standardizes the following fields: Title, First Name, Middle Name, Last Name, Suffix, Phone Numbers, and Emails
Additionally, we can remove/merge duplicate constituents, separate household records into separate constituent records and reformat the last two years gifts or all of your gifts to match the recommended Campaigns, Funds and Appeal structure.
What does NPSS’ data migration process look like?
Analyzing Data/Implementation Planning
1. NPSS reviews your data in your system, documents all fields and sends the Client the documented fields to review.
2. Kick-off call between NPSS and Client to discuss:
a. Fields that will not be migrated to the new system
b. Comparison of possible differences between the functionality of your current system and the new system
c. Fields, Groups etc. to create to in LGL
d. Recommended LGL Campaign, Funds, Appeals and Appeals
3. Configuration of LGL
A. Configure subscription settings and add groups and custom categories
B. Create Campaigns, Funds, Appeals and Events, as needed
4. Data extraction from current system
5. Format data and create import files
a. Formatting includes the following fields: (e.g. Title, First Name, Middle Name, Last Name, Suffix, Phone Numbers, Emails, etc.)
Additionally, NPSS can:
· Create/Reformat Addressees and Salutations
· Remove/Merge duplicate constituents
· Separate household records into single constituent records
· Reformat the last two years gifts or all of your gifts to match the recommended Campaigns, Funds and Appeal structure.
b. Map your data to LGL
6. Data Importing / Testing the Data in the new system
7. Client review the system
8. Final review of the project with Client
Additionally, NPSS can:
9. Provide customized LGL training
10. Provide customized Policies & Procedures documentation